The Lamp is made possible due to 100% volunteer efforts, and all funds made from journal sales go directly back into covering the costs of the journal. Those selected for publication in The Lamp will be provided with a contributor’s copy free of charge.
Submissions for Volume 9 (2019) are now OPEN. Please read the guidelines below prior to submitting your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We accept poetry, short stories, scripts, creative non-fiction, and other textual art. At this time we do not accept visual art of any kind.
- Contributors must be in a graduate or professional program. Include your name, email address, and degree in your email cover letter, but do not put any identifying information in your submission document. Only the editors-in-chief will have access to this information prior to printing.
- There is no word limit, but keep in mind we’re a small journal.
- There is no limit to the number of pieces you can submit, but please be reasonable.
- Documents should be attached in plain text, rich text, or Microsoft 2003 formats to facilitate reading. Pieces submitted in pdf or docx formats, or in hardcopy, will not be accepted.
- Submissions should be in Times New Roman, 12 point font, with 1″ margins. Please single-space.
- Please edit your work carefully before submitting.
- Paragraphs should be indicated by standard 0.5″ indentations, not by blank lines.
- For dialogue, use double quotation marks, not single quotation marks.
- Use italics for emphasis, not bold or underlining.
- If submitting multiple poems, please send them in the same document, with a page break between each.
- Indicate which poems, if any, are to be read as a series. If a series is not indicated, each poem will be read as a separate submission, rather than as a set.
- Please note that, as we publish in ereader-friendly formats, the size of the reader’s screen may affect poems with special formatting on certain devices. We will do our very best to preserve your formatting across different screen sizes.
- Please identify character names by full caps.
- Italicize stage directions.
- Comic submissions should be no more than 5-8 pages in length.
- Keep in mind that we will be publishing in ebook format, and that may mean some scaling down of material to fit the dimensions of a page.
If your work complies with the above guidelines, send it as an attachment to email@example.com
Successful contributors will be notified in March. All accepted submissions will undergo a detailed and extensive editorial process, and any changes made by the author as a result of the recommendations and/or suggestions made therein will be assessed by the editors-in-chief prior to publication. Authors reserve the right to reject certain recommendations and/or suggestions based on a justification of intent, style, or creative license, but our editorial board reserves the right to withdraw its acceptance if certain specified requirements are not met.
We look forward to reading your work!